The past few days I’ve been setting everything up on a server as I begin the process of moving the use of blogs more into mainstream – well, ok, only a little bit more – use within my organisation.
I made a couple of changes that are worth noting from what I did on my XP desktop. The server is 2003, so it’s IIS 6. I wasn’t sure if that was going to make much of a difference. I installed MSDE and the Web Data Administrator, and the WDA failed to connect. After much fiddling I figured it was probably IIS 6, so I removed it and MSDE and went for SQL Server 2005 Express plus the SQL Server Management Studio.
I was worried that Community Server wouldn’t like SQL Server 2005, but it didn’t seem to mind. Installation of Community Server was a snap. The only thing that tripped me up was giving the NETWORK SERVICE user access to the data. To do this, use the Management Studio and go to \Security\Users in the left pane, create a user called NETWORK SERVICE with the login name of NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE.
Another change I made here is putting the community server at the root of the web, rather than a cs sub-web. This enables me to use the front page of the community server as a sort of portal onto the blogosphere and wikis.
PHP was a bit of a bother, mostly because I’d forgotten several of the more fiddly things. Also IIS 6 setup differs a bit. I found an excellent resource here and following these instructions got PHP working a treat. I hadn’t realised before, that the extention required for MySQL 5 (php_mysqli.dll) is not added instead of, but in addition to, the php_mysql.dll extention – so you need both lines in the php.ini file.
MediaWiki setup was painless. I had changed the default port for MySQL so in the setup for MediaWiki add the port to the server name – i.e. localhost:1025, or whatever port you use.
So that makes a server, with PHP5, MediaWiki, CommunityServer, IIS6, MySQL5, and SQL Server 2005 and all working nicely.
Next challenge – get people to use it.